IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Lawmaker seeks court order to stop Trump name returning to Kennedy Center

Rep. Joyce Beatty asks federal court to block Kennedy Center from re-adding Trump's name, citing a May ruling.

A Democratic lawmaker has made an emergency request to a federal court to prevent the Kennedy Center from restoring President Donald Trump's name to the building's exterior.

Rep. Joyce Beatty of Ohio, who serves as an ex officio member of the center's board, filed the request on Thursday. Her legal team argues that the board's recent decision to re-inscribe Trump's name violates a court order issued earlier this year.

The center's board, now aligned with Trump, voted this month to add the inscription "The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Restored and Renovated By President Donald J. Trump" to the facade. If a fundraising effort reaches $100 million, a second line reading "Endowed by the Trump Kennedy Center Fund" would also be added. The plaza in front of the venue would be renamed in Trump's honor as well.

The institution has said it will not attempt to engrave the name before September 8, allowing time for legal arguments.

In May, U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper ruled that the center had illegally added Trump's name and ordered its removal. The name was taken down in June, though scaffolding and a tarp remain in place. Center lawyers have said the structure is needed for roof repairs and water testing.

Congress designated the Kennedy Center as a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy in 1964. Federal law bars the board from dedicating the venue to anyone else or placing another person's name on its exterior.

A representative for the Kennedy Center did not immediately respond to a request for comment.