Flores earthquake survivors wait in shelters as rescue shifts to recovery
Thousands remain in shelters on Flores Island after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake, as rescue operations shift to recovery and relief efforts continue.
Thousands of residents on Indonesia's Flores Island are still living in temporary shelters days after a powerful earthquake struck the region, with many unsure when they can safely return to their homes.
The 7.7-magnitude quake hit on August 15, with its epicenter near Mbay in Nagekeo Regency. Occurring at a depth of 10 kilometers, it was one of the strongest to hit the area in years and caused severe surface damage. Hundreds of buildings collapsed, roads cracked, and communication lines were severed across several provinces.
Baenah, a survivor who was at her shop when the quake struck, described the panic that followed. "Everyone scrambled outside. We immediately ran up the mountain. We were all scared because of the tsunami warning," she said, recalling how she fled with only water and a kilogram of rice.
Search and rescue teams have been working around the clock, though damaged roads and difficult terrain have slowed their efforts. Asfan Dulhasan, head of operations at Maumere Search and Rescue, said the operation is now entering a new phase. "We are entering Day Four of the emergency rescue operations and so far, we do not have any data of missing persons or anyone buried under the rubble, so our focus now is moving from rescue to recovery," he explained.
Dozens of aftershocks have rattled the region since the main quake, some strong enough to keep frightened residents from returning home. At the shelters, volunteers and rescue workers are registering displaced families, distributing food, and offering basic medical care.
Dulhasan acknowledged the toll the work has taken on his team. "The past few days have been very tough for all of us. We are going through a lot of mental, physical and emotional challenges, but this is the nature of our work and we will continue to do this for our fellow residents here in Flores," he said.
Indonesia's national disaster mitigation agency has declared a 14-day emergency response. While food, water, and supplies are being distributed at evacuation sites, the affected area spans multiple remote regions, making it difficult to reach every family in need. Authorities confirmed Tuesday that the death toll has risen to 70, with 132 others injured.