IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Rescuers comb quake-hit Flores villages as toll crosses 70

Rescue teams sweep Flores villages after a deadly earthquake killed 70, injured 1,200, and displaced over 40,000 people.

Search and rescue teams are conducting door-to-door sweeps across earthquake-devastated villages in Indonesia's East Nusa Tenggara province, looking for residents who may still need help or medical evacuation.

The operation is focused on the remote island of Flores, where a powerful earthquake struck early Saturday. The disaster has killed at least 70 people, injured nearly 1,200, and damaged thousands of homes, according to the National Disaster Management Agency.

More than 40,000 people are currently sheltering in tents, evacuation centres, and makeshift camps. Officials estimate that at least 11,925 homes have been damaged or destroyed.

The Lamba Leda area in North Manggarai Regency is among the worst affected, with numerous buildings reduced to rubble. Rescue personnel have been inspecting collapsed structures, including a mosque and the Dampek community health centre, while also helping residents salvage belongings from their ruined homes.

"We are conducting patrols and another sweep of the area in case there are residents who need assistance or medical evacuation," said Agus Haryono, a director at Indonesia's search and rescue agency. "We are ready to help, while also clearing access routes that remain blocked."

Earlier in the day, authorities carried out air evacuations for several injured residents, flying them to Labuan Bajo for further treatment.

For many survivors, the loss is deeply personal. Adolf Husmuda, whose house was destroyed, expressed the anguish shared by many. "When I think about how much effort it took to build this house, and then it suddenly collapsed in an instant, I feel extremely disappointed," he said. "But when I see so many other people experiencing the same thing, what can I say? I just have to accept this reality."