Iran says Hormuz transit plan with Oman nearing finalisation
Iran says it has reached an understanding with Oman on a transit route through the Strait of Hormuz, as US-Iran peace talks hit a deadline without progress.
Iran announced on Monday that it has reached an understanding with Oman on a plan to manage ship movements through the Strait of Hormuz, with both sides now working to finalise a joint statement. The announcement came as the 60-day negotiating period for a US-Iran peace deal expired without any sign of an extension or breakthrough.
Iranian foreign affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route." While he did not provide specifics, previously reported details suggest the arrangement would reopen the strait with ships entering near Iran and exiting near Oman, with no tolls or fees during an interim period.
The strait, which carried roughly one-fifth of the world's traded oil before the war, was effectively closed after Israel and the US attacked Iran on February 28. Washington has made reopening the waterway to commercial shipping a key condition before it ends its blockade of Iranian ports, but it remains unclear whether this agreement meets those requirements.
Baghaei acknowledged the talks with Oman have moved slowly, saying, "but we had planned, and still plan, to finalise the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement."
Separately, US Middle East negotiator Jared Kushner met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a day after holding talks with Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on disarmament. The meetings follow Netanyahu's rejection of a 15-point, US-backed road map for advancing the Gaza truce.
Hamas says it has agreed to the road map, which includes disarmament, and is urging mediators to compel Israel to sign on. Israel, however, insists that Hamas must fully disarm before any withdrawal from Gaza, where Israeli troops currently occupy about 60% of the strip. Netanyahu has previously threatened to advance further into the territory.