IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Iran rejects US economic threats as Syria FM visits Pakistan

Iran dismisses US economic threats as failed policy; Syria's FM visits Pakistan for regional talks; Pakistan repatriates sailors killed in Houthi attack.

Iran's foreign minister on Thursday dismissed Washington's latest threats of economic pressure, calling them a continuation of failed policies that will only deepen hostility toward the United States.

Abbas Araghchi's remarks came hours after President Donald Trump warned of "crushing economic measures" and promised "economic warfare and isolation on an unprecedented scale," though he offered few specifics.

In a social media post, Araghchi said the threats are aimed at diverting American public attention from domestic financial problems. He described the US approach as "economic terrorism" that endangers the global economy and the sovereignty of nations.

Meanwhile, Syria's Foreign Minister Assad al-Shibani arrived in Islamabad for talks expected to focus on regional issues, according to Pakistan's foreign ministry. The visit follows Israeli airstrikes on an air base in northern Syria that caused damage but no casualties.

Pakistani officials said the country's political and military leadership remains in contact with both Iran and the United States to de-escalate tensions and push for resumption of talks after a 60-day deadline under a June memorandum of understanding expired. That agreement was brokered by Pakistan with help from regional countries.

Separately, Pakistan repatriated the bodies of two citizens killed in last week's Houthi attack on a Tanzanian-flagged commercial vessel in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. Six injured Pakistani sailors have also returned home, Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said, thanking Saudi Arabia for medical assistance.

"Pakistan condemns the attack in the strongest terms and reiterates that the safety and security of seafarers must be ensured at all times," Dar said.