Irish lawmakers demand TikTok answers over dangerous driving videos
Irish lawmakers summon TikTok over videos glorifying dangerous driving after five teenagers died in a wrong-way motorway crash.
A parliamentary committee in Ireland has formally requested that TikTok explain its content moderation practices regarding videos that appear to encourage illegal driving. The move follows a fatal crash on Sunday in which five teenage boys died after driving the wrong way down a motorway, colliding head-on with another vehicle. Three women and a child in the other car were seriously injured while travelling to Dublin Airport.
Police have said that young people have been driving against traffic on motorways to gain social media attention, with footage of such behaviour being widely shared online. A body representing police officers has also reported that gangs of male youths are attempting to outdo each other with videos showing dangerous driving and interactions with law enforcement.
Alan Kelly, chair of the parliamentary committee for arts, media, communications, culture and sport, said the tragedy raised serious questions about the circulation of content that glorifies dangerous and illegal behaviour on Irish roads. He called for meaningful action from social media platforms.
TikTok has not yet commented on the invitation. Earlier this week, the company said it was closely monitoring content related to the deaths and was removing videos and accounts that violate its rules. Ireland's media regulator has also asked TikTok for a full account of the measures it has taken regarding reckless driving content.
The government has promised police any resources they need and has proposed making wrong-way driving on motorways a separate offence. Police also plan to introduce vehicle-pursuit training for officers before the end of the year. Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan warned that anyone intentionally driving the wrong way down a motorway could end up in jail or in a grave.