Palestinian American Reunites With Family at Besieged West Bank Home
Palestinian American Loui Ridi returns to his West Bank home in Qusra, ending a week-long siege by settlers.
Loui Ridi, a Palestinian American, returned to his family home in the occupied West Bank village of Qusra on Monday, ending a journey from Ohio to a property that has been under siege by Israeli settlers for over a week.
Ridi arrived late Monday night and was escorted by Israeli security forces to the entrance of his house on the village's outskirts. He was greeted by his brother and teenage nephew, who had remained inside the home to protect it from settlers.
Video footage shows Ridi exiting his car carrying an American flag, while settlers remained visible on the property's security cameras. He was seen hugging his mother and other family members upon arrival.
The standoff in Qusra, located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of Nablus, has seen groups of settlers surround several Palestinian homes, preventing residents from leaving. Israel declared the neighborhood where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone last week.
Speaking before reaching his home, Ridi expressed frustration at the situation. "It is sad that I watched the UN yesterday taking food to my house," he said. "Why? I should be able to walk into my house, go freely, to go to my own house, to get my own food, get my own water."
Ridi said he had been monitoring his home through security cameras for the past two weeks, watching settlers attempt to take over the property. "No human being should live like this," he added.
The United States has condemned the siege, and the Israeli military has deployed troops it says are there to maintain order. The incident comes amid a surge in violence across the West Bank in recent months.