IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Palestinian American returns to West Bank to defend home under settler siege

Palestinian American Loui Ridi returns to West Bank to defend family home besieged by Israeli settlers for over a week.

A Palestinian American man whose family home in the occupied West Bank has been surrounded by Israeli settlers for more than a week arrived in Israel on Monday, vowing to join relatives in protecting the property.

Loui Ridi, who lives in Ohio, landed at Israel's main international airport and said he would try to reach the village of Qusra, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) southeast of Nablus. Video footage taken by his brother showed settlers still roaming near the village as Ridi arrived.

His brother Qusai Abu Rida and a teenage son have remained inside the house to prevent settlers from taking it over. "I'm terrified for my brother and his son and their safety," Ridi told reporters. "And now I'm going to have to fear for my own safety."

The standoff has drawn international attention, with the United States condemning the siege. The Israeli military has deployed troops to the area, saying they are there to maintain order, and has declared the part of Qusra where Ridi's home is located a closed military zone, which could prevent him from entering.

The incident is part of a broader surge in violence in the West Bank. Israeli settlers, emboldened by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing government, have increased attacks on Palestinian towns and villages, setting homes, mosques, and fields ablaze. According to Palestinian health officials, Israeli soldiers and settlers have killed 87 Palestinians so far this year, while Palestinians have killed three Israelis, including two in the village of Tell last month.