IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Return to Britain After Six Years in US

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to move back to Britain with their children after nearly six years in the US, according to sources familiar with the decision.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to relocate to Britain with their two children, Archie and Lilibet, after nearly six years in the United States. The move is expected to take place in the coming weeks, according to two people familiar with the decision.

King Charles III was reportedly informed of the decision on Sunday. The couple's return was not discussed during their meeting with the King earlier this year, one of the sources said.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to live as non-working royals and will remain private individuals after their return. It is not yet clear where the family will reside, but they are not expected to move back into royal accommodation.

Their children, who have spent most of their lives in the US, have been enrolled in a school in Britain and are expected to begin classes in September, according to one person familiar with the decision.

The couple stepped back from their roles as senior working members of the royal family in 2020 and moved to the US. Harry was subsequently stripped of his honorary military titles and royal patronages in 2021.

Relations between the Sussexes and the royal family have remained strained since their departure. Harry discussed his experiences in the royal family in his memoir, Spare, and the couple spoke about their lives as royals during a 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey.

Security has been a persistent concern for Harry, who has said he did not feel his family would be safe in Britain without police protection. His legal challenge over security arrangements has continued even after his move to the US.

Following their relocation, the couple signed a deal with Netflix and released a six-part documentary series, Harry & Meghan, detailing their time within the royal family and their reasons for leaving. Harry's memoir, Spare, released in 2023, became a major commercial success, selling more than 1.43 million copies across the US, Canada, and Britain on its first day.

Representatives for Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the reported move, while a spokesperson for Harry and Meghan did not respond to requests for comment.