Somali Pirates Seize Oil Tanker Off Yemen in Sixth Hijacking Since April
Six armed pirates hijacked an oil products tanker off Yemen, taking it toward Somalia's Puntland coast — the sixth commercial vessel seized since April.
Somali pirates have hijacked an oil products tanker off the coast of Yemen, marking the sixth commercial vessel seized in a resurgence of piracy across the Gulf of Aden and western Indian Ocean since April.
Six armed men boarded the Eritrean-flagged M.T. Sibu 1 on Thursday, approximately 136 nautical miles (252 kilometers) east of al-Mukalla, Yemen, according to a Somali maritime security official. The vessel was then directed toward Somalia's Puntland coast. The official spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
The tanker, managed by UAE-based Qatrat Alnada Almasi Ship Management, was sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department last year for allegedly being part of an Iranian "shadow fleet" used to transport petroleum products in violation of U.S. sanctions.
The vessel carried 20 crew members: 16 Indians, one Syrian, one Sudanese, and one Iraqi. The nationality of one crew member remains unknown. Details about the ship's previous port of departure and intended destination have not been disclosed.
The hijacking occurred three days after pirates seized the Lutuf, a Cameroon-flagged general cargo vessel, off Somalia's coast. That ship had 10 crew aboard, including six Indians, a Turkish national, a Georgian national, and two Serbian security guards, according to maritime tracking reports.
Since April 21, pirates have seized six commercial vessels: the Palau-flagged tanker Honor 25, the Sward on April 26, the Eureka on May 2, the Asana on July 17, the Lutuf on August 17, and now the Sibu 1.
Attacks have occurred increasingly far from Somalia's coastline. The Eureka was hijacked while anchored off Yemen, and the Asana was taken about 65 nautical miles (120 kilometers) southwest of al-Mukalla. The International Maritime Bureau recorded 38 piracy and armed robbery incidents worldwide during the first half of 2026, including five hijackings. Somali pirates were responsible for 94% of crew members taken hostage during that period.
Puntland's Security Ministry said Friday that investigations indicated forces beyond Puntland's control were behind the renewed piracy, though no group or country was identified. The claim could not be independently verified.
Puntland said it had deployed security forces along its coast and condemned airstrikes that it said struck fishing vessels and property near coastal communities where hijacked ships were being held. The ministry called on the countries involved to explain strikes near Garacad on August 18 and August 20. It did not identify who carried out the strikes, and the allegations could not be independently confirmed.