South Korea's first Arctic container voyage tests Russia-linked route
South Korea's first commercial Arctic voyage to Europe departs this week, testing a faster route that requires Russian permits and has drawn Western concern.
South Korea is set to launch its first commercial container voyage to Europe via the Arctic, testing a route made more navigable by melting sea ice. The trip, which begins Saturday from the port of Busan, will see the PanStar Acro call at Felixstowe in Britain, Rotterdam in the Netherlands, and Gdansk in Poland before returning. The operator, PanStar, expects the journey to take 40 to 45 days.
The voyage comes as Seoul prioritises Arctic shipping, with officials aiming to turn Busan into a global maritime hub and establish a regular Arctic trade route by 2030. The timing is deliberate: Arctic sea ice is at its lowest level of the year around September, making navigation safer, according to a PanStar official.
The route's appeal is clear. South Korea's Oceans Ministry says the Northern Sea Route (NSR) can shorten voyages by up to 35% compared with the traditional Suez Canal path and requires less fuel. However, commercial viability remains uncertain. Unit transport costs are inflated by vessel size limits and insurance premiums, and the route is only navigable by container ships during the three summer months when ice melts, said Hyewon Choi, a former naval officer who published a study on the topic last year.
The voyage has drawn criticism from Western diplomats, who object to the necessity of consulting Russia and obtaining permits for the ship's passage. "We want to isolate Russia, we don't want engagement with Russia," one European diplomat said, citing Russia's war in Ukraine. Arctic shipping experts have also warned that South Korea could risk breaching sanctions if the ship requires Russian assistance for issues such as getting stuck in ice.
Traffic on the NSR is growing. The Centre for High North Logistics recorded 103 transits last year, up from 97 in 2024 and 43 in 2022, chiefly from Russian and Chinese vessels. China is already seeking first-mover advantage on the route, with Chinese container company Sea Legend Shipping planning to launch the first regular container service to Europe via the NSR.
PanStar, selected through a government-backed tender, purchased a 2,700-TEU container ship from HMM and is modifying it for polar navigation. The crew will include 20 Koreans and Indonesians. The company is seeking at least 1,300 TEU of cargo, including automobile parts, food, and cosmetics, along with shipments from China and Japan.
"Korea must begin accumulating operating experience and data that it has not had until now, if the national goal of commercial scheduled service by 2030 is to be achievable," the PanStar official said.