South Korea Seeks US-North Korea Dialogue After Trump Trims Military Drills
South Korea welcomes Trump's decision to reduce US-South Korea military drills, hoping it will revive talks with North Korea.
South Korea on Monday expressed hope that the United States and North Korea would resume diplomacy to ease tensions on the peninsula, a day after President Donald Trump ordered a reduction in the scale of annual US-South Korean military exercises.
Trump cited his close relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un for the move, saying the drills were costly and sent a "totally inappropriate and hostile" signal to Pyongyang. The announcement surprised many in South Korea, a key US ally that faces persistent threats from nuclear-armed North Korea.
The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises began Monday as planned, with about 18,000 South Korean troops taking part. It was unclear which parts of the training would be scaled back. The US military said the drills would incorporate lessons from recent conflicts, including North Korea's battlefield experience in the Russia-Ukraine war, and include live-fire exercises.
North Korea did not immediately respond to Trump's announcement. In the past, Pyongyang has condemned the exercises as invasion rehearsals and threatened strong responses. Earlier this month, North Korea fired two ballistic missiles in likely protest of the drills, and its foreign ministry vowed to respond with "a new level of deterrent."
South Korea's presidential office said it hopes the "friendly relationship" between Trump and Kim will lead to "meaningful dialogue" and discussions on peace and stability. It added that Seoul will make necessary diplomatic efforts to support that goal.
Experts say Trump's decision signals a willingness to reengage with Kim, but the North Korean leader, emboldened by his expanding nuclear arsenal and closer ties with Russia, is unlikely to return to talks without significant US concessions. Kim has previously said he could resume dialogue only if Washington abandons its "obsession with denuclearization."
This is not the first time Trump has suspended the drills. After his 2018 summit with Kim, he unilaterally halted summertime exercises, calling them "very provocative" and "tremendously expensive."
Some analysts warn that reducing the drills could weaken alliance coordination and deterrence in Asia. Others predict North Korea will acknowledge Trump's overture but wait for further US actions before committing to talks.