IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

Stars and Stripes Publisher Steps Down, Citing Pentagon Rift

The longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes retires, citing fundamental differences with Pentagon leadership over the paper's future.

Max D. Lederer Jr., the longtime publisher of the military newspaper Stars and Stripes, has announced his retirement, effective at the end of September. In a memo to staff and an interview with the paper, Lederer said his leadership philosophy and understanding of the outlet's mission now differ fundamentally from the direction set by Defense Department leadership.

The announcement comes amid a broader push by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's Pentagon to reshape the publication, which it says should focus on warfighting and military topics rather than what it calls "woke distractions." In January, a Pentagon social media post outlined plans to return Stars and Stripes to its "original mission" and refocus content away from such distractions.

Lederer's exit follows the firing in April of Jacqueline Smith, the paper's ombudsman, whose role was to protect editorial independence. Smith, in a column, warned against allowing the paper to be controlled by Pentagon brass. The Pentagon has not commented on Lederer's retirement.

Stars and Stripes, which traces its roots to the Civil War, has long operated with a degree of editorial independence despite receiving about half of its budget from the Defense Department. Its mission statement emphasizes independence from outside interference and adherence to First Amendment principles.

The retirement also comes as the Pentagon has increased restrictions on journalists covering the department. Last year, many outlets surrendered their access badges after new rules were imposed. This summer, the Pentagon designated its press office a classified space, requiring escorts for journalists on grounds—a policy currently challenged in court.

Lederer, the second full-time civilian to hold the publisher role, expressed concerns about the Pentagon's modernization plans, particularly a shift to digital-only formats, which he said could limit access for troops. Rufus Friday, chair of the paper's advisory board, warned that the developments threaten the publication's editorial independence.