IndiaFocal.

India, in focus.

World

UN presses US and Iran to return to talks as 60-day deadline nears

The UN urges Washington and Tehran to resume talks as a 60-day deadline approaches, while Iran and Oman work on a Hormuz shipping plan.

The United Nations has called on the United States and Iran to resume negotiations as a 60-day window for a peace deal rapidly approaches its end. The appeal comes with no indication of an extension and with both capitals appearing as far apart as when the conflict began.

Speaking to reporters, UN Secretary-General António Guterres' spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric reiterated the UN's longstanding position: "There is no military solution to this conflict." He urged both the Islamic Republic of Iran and the United States to return to the table "towards a peaceful and durable settlement as soon as possible," while also calling for a lowering of rhetoric heard in recent days.

The urgency is compounded by developments around the Strait of Hormuz. US President Donald Trump has again threatened Oman, even as Iran says it is working with the Gulf Arab nation on a plan to manage shipping through the strategic waterway. Fully reopening the strait has been a key US demand.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route." While he did not elaborate, previously reported details suggest the deal would allow ships to enter through a route close to Iran and exit near Oman, with no fees or tolls during an interim period.

The US has sought an acceptable arrangement for opening the strait before it ends its blockade of Iranian ports. Iran effectively closed the waterway — through which roughly one-fifth of the world's traded oil supplies once passed — after attacks on the country by Israel and the US on February 28.