Zelenskyy opens up on Fedorov rift, cites defense spending and Starlink dispute
Zelenskyy publicly addresses Fedorov's dismissal, citing defense spending issues and a Starlink misunderstanding with Trump, while warning of Patriot missile shortfalls.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has publicly detailed his rift with dismissed Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov for the first time, saying some of the minister's actions were misguided. Speaking at a two-hour off-the-record meeting with reporters on Saturday, the transcript of which was released on Sunday, Zelenskyy said he still holds a positive view of Fedorov but believes he was pushed toward wrong decisions.
Zelenskyy said he offered Fedorov four different positions to continue working in government, all of which were rejected. The dismissal last month triggered weeks of mass protests, which ultimately failed to reverse the decision. Fedorov later called for elections in a video address.
The president also linked Fedorov to an awkward episode involving Starlink and U.S. President Donald Trump. According to Zelenskyy, the Defense Ministry had told him that SpaceX had agreed to allow Ukraine to use Starlink over Russian territory for deep strikes, subject to political approval. Acting on that, Zelenskyy raised the matter with Trump, saying Musk had confirmed the proposal. However, at a later meeting, Trump said Musk had rejected the plan and accused Zelenskyy of misleading him.
"He said that I had supposedly deceived him because Musk had denied Ukraine the use of Starlink on Russian territory. I went back to our Ministry of Defense and they said that maybe it was so," Zelenskyy said. He did not explicitly accuse Fedorov of lying but said the episode was among the reasons behind "some of the steps."
Zelenskyy also defended former army chief Oleksandr Syrskyi and current Defense Minister Maj. Gen. Yevhen Khmara against protesters' harsh criticism. He said slogans like "Syrskyi is the devil, Khmara is the devil" were unacceptable, especially since the military made peaceful protests possible.
On defense finances, Zelenskyy revealed a $27 billion budget shortfall after spending decisions brought forward funds intended for 2026. He also addressed a corruption probe that led to the firing of a senior official this week, saying anti-corruption investigators have no questions for him personally.
On the battlefield, Zelenskyy said Ukrainian forces have almost completely recaptured the Dnipropetrovsk region, with only about 10 square kilometers and three small villages remaining under Russian control. He predicted that by the end of 2026, Ukraine could reach parity between territory occupied by Russia and territory retaken by Ukrainian forces.
Zelenskyy warned of a growing shortage of Patriot air-defense missiles, saying deliveries from Western allies have declined. Ukraine received 675 Patriot missiles in 2023, compared with 364 in 2025 and an expected 264 in 2026. He said he wanted to secure 300 additional missiles for the coming winter, while the Air Force had requested 360.
He noted that Russia could eventually produce up to 1,300 ballistic missiles a year, compared with an estimated current capacity of 600. Zelenskyy also said Ukraine was preparing alternatives to Starlink, including a European communications project.